mardi 22 janvier 2013

Your Daily digest for pipe naruto

pipe naruto
Pipes Output
thumbnail Shin Sekai Yori (From the New World) - Episode 16
Jan 22nd 2013, 20:40


thumbnail Senyu - Episode 3
Jan 22nd 2013, 18:00


thumbnail Wooser's Hand-to-Mouth Life - Episode 7
Jan 22nd 2013, 18:00


thumbnail Love Live! School Idol Project - Episode 3
Jan 22nd 2013, 16:00


thumbnail AMNESIA - Episode 3
Jan 22nd 2013, 15:30


thumbnail NARUTO Spin-Off: Rock Lee & His Ninja Pals - Episode 42
Jan 22nd 2013, 10:00


thumbnail Bleach Season 13 - Episode 264
Jan 22nd 2013, 09:30


Creative Spotlight: Episode #194 – Samantha Wall
Jan 22nd 2013, 00:04

samanthawallheader

We recently ran into the works of Samantha Wall, a Korean born, Portland-based fine artist who creates portraits of distress. One of her more recent series, Partially Severed, “uses the female body as a site of struggle between subjective narrative and representations of women in Asian horror cinema.” Like we said, distress. That work was on display at Pacific Northwest College of Art in Portland earlier this year. Since we love art, and Asian horror, it was a no-brainer to catch up with Samantha and feature her in the Creative Spotlight. Read below for the full interview…

It seems you use your art to explore themes that have grey areas of exploration surrounding it. How do you use your art to dissect conflict from a feminine perspective?

Samantha: The drawings that I think are the most successful are ones that are a little difficult to digest. I enjoy feeling simultaneously attracted and repelled by the work. I think the only way to accomplish this is by confronting those grey areas within myself. For example Shame on Me, a body of work that I completed for my MFA thesis exhibition, require I confront my own relationship with shame. This led me to wonder why I'd cultivated such an intimate relationship with such an uncomfortable feeling. I realized that my Korean upbringing had an important role in this and other facets of my life, though I moved to the United States at an early age and assimilated fairly quickly.

Why do you choose the female body as the foundation for your large-scale drawings? What features of women do you particular gravitate to?

Samantha: I've always gravitated toward the female form, partly because it is what I know. I often used myself as a model, even at a young age. Also, I spent a lot of time comparing my body to that of other girls, focusing on the attributes that highlighted my difference. My height, skin tone, hair, weight, length of my legs, I practically dismembered myself. It's not surprising– young girls are culturally indoctrinated to do just that and learn to be dissatisfied with their bodies.

samanthawall2

Indeed, there are a lot of raw emotions in your work. Does this affect your psyche? Do you create better when you are in a state of vulnerability?

Samantha: No, I don't think it affects my psyche, but is a reflection of it. It require that I allow myself to be open, it's more about a willingness to share something that usually remains hidden, only experienced by the individual. I suppose there is a kind of vulnerability in that but artists should take risks.

You had an exhibition that explored the representations of women in Asian horror cinema. Is this observation more on the negative side? Do you wish films laid off the emphasis on mythos and long black hair characteristics?

Samantha: Not at all. Any of the negative meanings associated with these representations of women can be subverted, tipping the scales of power relations. The films make the mythos more accessible. Many of my projects are catalyzed by a film, photograph or story, which lead to other more obscure sources. Myth and folklore provide a lens to view social and cultural anxieties, desires and fears. I enjoy discovering what they represented, how they've changed, and how I can weave the preexisting structures into my own narratives.

Speaking of which, give us your favorite Asian Horror film of the past few years.

Samantha: Kuroneko, a 1968 Japanese horror film, was the catalyst for several of my recent drawings but thinking about Audition still gives me chills.

samanthawall3

How does your Korean ethnicity play into your world and culture living in America and creating art? Does it still have a strong hold over you, as far as influencing you?

Samantha: My ethnicity definitely affects how I position myself in the world which, in turn, informs my work. I grew up knowing I was part Korean, but not really understanding what that meant. That's something I still struggle with, concurrently being a part of something and excluded. When I was younger, it was much easier for me to try to ignore my ethnicity, basically erase my history. My parents gave me an American name and I lost the ability to speak Korean. Even though I spent much of my life forgetting where I came from while adopting a new identity, I think a part of me remembers life in Korea and that manifests in unexpected ways within my drawings.

If we peeled back the layers on yourself in 2012, what was the one defining moment for you as a person that had the greatest impact of your work? This can be private encounters, or just a small experience that just stemmed off to correlating an extreme emotional state.

Samantha: There wasn't a defining moment, a lot of great things happened in 2012. The most important was having the opportunity to work in my studio without having to hold another job. It was important for me to play, make bad work, and fail… sometimes miserably. I feel I have a real sense of what it takes to be artist and it's so much more difficult than I imagined but at the same time I know there's really nothing else I'd rather be doing.

Next year you’ll be at The Art Gym, which is a university gallery that fosters cultural risk-tasking. Could you tell us a bit about the pieces you are working on, the themes explored, and what people can expect?

Samantha: The title of the show is Laid to Rest. The drawings continue to explore similar themes as some of my previous work but there's a sense of distillation in this group of drawings. The work is focused on a single figure, presented over and over. She begins to take on a power through this repetition, and the titles of the drawings amplify this sensation. Expect a lot of black hair!

samanthawall4

You stated that you shed light on internal struggles that often go unnoticed. What are some other relevant themes that you would like to explore in the future that you haven’t had a chance too illustrate yet?

Samantha: I'm interested in exploring multiraciality through an emotional perspective. These issues have always been a concern within my work and I plan to dig deeper into the subject this summer at The Joan Mitchell Center Artist Residency in New Orleans.

Lastly, any advice for a struggling creative?

Samantha: Make art. Make art when you love it, and it pours out effortlessly but most importantly make art when it's hard and you'd rather be home on the couch with a glass of red wine watching Kojak.

samanthawall5

Want to stay current on all of Samantha’s work? Follow her cookie crumb trail below:

http://www.marylhurst.edu/arts-and-events/art-gym/art-gym-exhibitions/current-exhibition.html
http://www.tumblr.com/blog/drawingclosely
http://www.samanthawall.com/

The Last Stand – Review
Jan 22nd 2013, 00:02

americanreviewheader
thelaststand

Directed by Jee-woon Kim (The Good, The Bad, and The Weird; I Saw the Devil), The Last Stand has been heralded as Arnold Schwarzenegger's return to starring in action films. I grew up watching Arnold, I own every film of his, I am what you would call a serious Schwarzenegger fan. I have waited a decade for his return to the cinema, and I wasn’t disappointed. The Last Stand isn’t perfect, but Arnold fans can rejoice, for he truly is back!! The small town of Sommerton Junction is where the film works best, and it's a quaint slice of Americana. The deputies and residents of this town make for a winning ragtag group of individuals with strong personalities. Through the guise of this town Jee-Woon has somehow crafted a film that is as much an American Western as it is an 80s-style action throwback. This is never more clear than in the beautifully shot chase through a cornfield or in the town's almost universal love of guns. This film clearly and plainly loves guns and there are some terrific sequences and gags involving a wide variety of firepower.

With racing cars and thrilling action scenes, the movie features Arnold Schwarzenegger as he is tasked with going after a group of gang members lead by a drug lord. All in all, it’s agreeable that there were a couple of faults, and a couple of scenes where that may have been silly and awkward. Even Arnold Schwarzenegger’s acting was a bit bad at times. But it’s fun to watch. Eduardo Noriega is excellent as the pretty boy drug kingpin who lets other people do all his dirty work while he reaps all the benefits. He races towards the Mexican border in a fancy race car with a woman by his side while his gang members get blown away by Schwarzenegger and company. I spent the entire film just waiting for him to come face-to-face with Schwarzenegger and get what was coming to him. 80′s action fans will love this one. Even the soundtrack was great; not one single thing that made me say, “Now why did they have to use that song?” See it on the big screen, and bring it home when it hits disc.

thelaststand2

What helps in Jee-Woon’s favor in The Last Stand is how he takes the fantasy of all of this to such a degree that you (or I really) can’t help but admire how high it ends up going. It will please hardcore action fans, but unlike the only other recent Schwarzenegger films (so to speak) of the Expendables franchise, it doesn’t really insult your intelligence either. The structure of the film is elegant, though, and in a film like this that is ultimately what matters. Taking place entirely in one day, the film builds well and we spend enough time with the various parties to feel invested by the time the proverbial shit hits the fan. We layer back and forth between Sheriff Ray in his small border town and Forest Whitaker's FBI agent. The scenes with Forest almost always bring the film down. He's a talented actor and has a strong presence, but he mostly stands around a room looking at computer screens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc0x-jiewTE

The reason for this movie flopping is probably because no one really expected it to be that good in the first place. There wasn’t even a guarantee in the trailers that it would be pure mindless and fun entertainment. I’ve giving this film a lot of credit here. Had it not been for Arnold’s or Kim’s involvement, this would’ve been an average action thriller. However the stunts are not bad, well choreographed and not a tinge of CGI in sight, and the action comically violent at parts. It’s good to see Arnold back on the big screen in action, but both he and Kim need to do better than this cookie-cutter work. This was a good warm up film and its a shame it’s not doing better at the box office. At age 65, most men are content to retire and rest on their laurels. Former California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger isn’t one to sit on his assets in his old age. Overall, I really liked this film. I cheered, I winced, I threw popcorn in excitement! Is it as good as, say… Terminator? Of course not, but it’s on par with, if not better then, the likes of Eraser or Collateral Damage!
thelaststandrating

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire